Australia Day celebrations 2013
The Cities of Fremantle and Cockburn have joined together to bring you an amazing fireworks display celebrating Australia Day on Saturday 26 January 2013.
The festivities begin with the citizenship ceremony at 3.30 pm, followed by live entertainment and activities on the Esplanade Reserve at 4.30 pm. The Indian Ocean Skyshow fireworks will light up the night sky from 8.00 pm at Bathers Bay.
Australia Day celebrations program guide
Citizenship ceremony with Welcome to Country from 3.30 pm and live entertainment from 4.30 pm at Esplanade Reserve. Entertainment includes:
- free sausage sizzle
- Grace Barbe'
- Kart Koort Wiern
- The Black Penny Project
- The Chemist
- The Windjammers.
Proudly brought to you by the Cities of Fremantle and Cockburn. Fireworks begin at Bathers Bay from 8.00 pm. 96FM's Blackers, Carmen and Fitzy will broadcast live from Fremantle, 6.00–8.00 pm. 96FM will follow this by airing a specially formatted all Australian music track to the fireworks. 96FM will broadcast from the Royal Perth Yacht Club Fremantle Annex.
Indian Ocean Skyshow poster
We would like to announce our newest member to the Australia Day team – 96FM’s Smiley. He loves music of all kinds, but has a real passion for early rock and the birth of the blues. He loves early Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry and the bands that had their beginnings in the blues.
So be sure to come along and see Smiley down at the Esplanade on Australia Day.
The following roads will be closed to vehicle traffic:
- corner of Mews Road and Mews Road crossing into Fishing Boat Harbour from 7.00 pm till 9.30 pm
- Wardan Lane from 7.00 pm till 9.30 pm
- no entry or exit from Mews Road between 7.00 pm and 9.30 pm
- Monument Hill Reserve closed from 7.00 pm Friday 25 January until 12 noon Sunday 27 January 2013.
Motorists can park for the first hour free at the Queensgate and Parry Street car parks. Free half–hour parking is also available on Adelaide and High Street. The Queensgate car park has 850 car bays and is situated in the heart of the city. For a list of alternative transport options visit the transport and parking page or visit the Transperth website for bus and train times.
See the below map or download the PDF version
for the best places to park:
Due to Australia Day falling on a Saturday this year, the public holiday will be observed on Monday 28 January 2013.
City of Fremantle services
The City of Fremantle administration office, Fremantle Arts Centre, Fremantle City Library, Fremantle Community Care, Fremantle Community Legal Centre, Fremantle Toy Library and the Moores Contemporary Art Gallery will be closed on the Australia Day public holiday, Monday 28 January. The following City services will be open between:
- Fremantle Leisure Centre (7.00 am–7.00 pm)
- Fremantle Visitor Centre (10.00 am–4.00 pm).
Cicerello’s Fremantle will be having the following entertainment on Australia Day:
Cicerello’s Fremantle supports the staff and volunteers at Fremantle’s Australia Day Celebrations with fresh fish and chips.
- HypnoCats kick things off at 5.30 pm with funk, rock, soul and pop grooves and three lead singers offering a unique harmony of sounds, providing a repertoire that ranges from 70s classics to the music of today
- The Freo Grasshoppers get into the swing of things at 6.30 pm, delivering a mix of rock, reggae, funk and blues, and performing again after the fireworks at 8.30 pm.