Destination Marketing Strategic Plan
The City of Fremantle plays a key role in promoting Fremantle as a tourism destination and has been delivering marketing activities in line with the City of Fremantle Strategic Marketing Plan 2014 – 2017 via the ‘Fremantle Be Part of the Story’ destination Brand. The brand was developed in 2014 and has been in market for approximately 4 years however the expiry of the current strategic marketing plan in 2017 has provided an opportunity to review current marketing activities and determine the most suitable approach in to the future.
To support the development of a suitable approach, the City of Fremantle formed the Destination Marketing Working Group (DMWG) in 2018. A key outcome for the working group is to develop for the Fremantle Council's consideration a destination marketing strategic plan that supports all business-to-customer industries in Fremantle including retail, hospitality, professional services and traditional tourism attractions. The Destination Marketing Strategic Plan 2018-2022 has now been developed in line with extensive consultation from a variety of stakeholders.
The current strategic marketing plan was developed in response to the declining performance of population driven industries in Fremantle as well as macro-economic factors beyond the immediate control of stakeholders. Fremantle was also subject to increasing competition from major shopping centres in neighbouring municipalities which underwent significant expansions and upgrades at the time and ultimately captured a growing percentage of consumer expenditure which would normally had been reserved for Fremantle.
Destination Marketing Working Group
The new Destination Marketing Working Group was announced on Monday 21 May 2018.
The working group comprises:
- Chair: Linda Wayman - Former general manager of Southern Cross Media
- Karl Bullers - Chair Freo Now (previously Fremantle BID)
- Olwyn Williams - CEO Fremantle Chamber of Commerce
- Abby McDowell - Group Marketing Manager Facilimate (Quality Suites)
- Chris Lewis - Director Fremantle Press
- Paula Nelson - Director Fremantle Prison
- Kate Hulett - local business owner and MANY projects manager
- Destination Marketing Strategic Plan 2018-2022
- Destination Marketing Working Group Terms of Reference
Fremantle story Christmas campaign - registrations open NOW
The City of Fremantle is launching a major Christmas campaign to drive retail spend in Fremantle, Perth's best open air shopping centre! The campaign includes radio through Hit 92.9 FM and Mix 94.5 FM, paid social media influencers, a digital shopping map promoting key precincts for shopping and places to eat / drink, targeted digital advertising to shoppers in the Perth metropolitan area, a shopping competition and the wonderful free parking Santa returns!
Opportunities for your business to get involved:
Register as a participating business in the Christmas retail shopping competition.
- Shoppers will spend $20+ in your retail store to receive a unique code word to enter online at Fremantlestory.com.au.
- If your store’s code word is drawn the shopper wins $500 to spend in your store (paid for by the City of Fremantle).
- Competition flyers are available to promote the competition.
- Each business will need to train their staff team to promote the competition to shoppers and issue the unique codeword.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Offer a $20 gift voucher to be given away by the Hit 92.9 & Mix 'Hit the Streets' activation teams
- Activations are booked for Saturday 15 December and Wednesday 19 December.
- Vouchers need to purchase a complete product - we can't have the winners needing to contribute any $$$ themselves.
- Deadline for vouchers Friday 16 November - email email@example.com (quota of 50 vouchers exceeded - thankyou!)
Give your Fremantlestory.com.au listing a Christmas flavour.
- Add new images to your listing to highlight Christmas product.
- Add a special Christmas themed offer or event - see below for instructions to add a listing to fremantlestory.com.au.
- All Christmas listings will be tagged to appear on a special events page linked to the Christmas campaign landing page.
There are lots of ways you can get involved in the campaign:
- Share the campaign with your retail neighbours – we’d like every retail store in Fremantle to register so we can make an impact on shoppers at Christmas.
- Look out for our Christmas content on Hit 92.9 & Mix 94.5 and the Fremantle story Facebook, Instagram and YouTube accounts and share them to your pages.
- Promote the Christmas competition, digital shopping map on your social media pages, website and e newsletters.
- Tag @fremantlestory in your social media posts, and use the campaign hashtag #shopfreo
- Free Parking Santa - If you spot Santa and his elf roaming car parks and businesses paying for shoppers parking, grab a selfie and post it to your social media pages with the hashtag #freeparkingsanta
- Make sure your staff know about the campaign and ask them to promote the competition to customers.
Interim marketing activities
The City will continue to deliver “business as usual” marketing activity over the next six months until we transition to a new brand identity, expected to be revealed by the Destination Marketing Working Group in November.
- Fremantlestory.com.au will be maintained until we are ready to launch a new website.
- Social media and search engine marketing advertising will continue with targeted adverts to audiences in the Perth metro area.
- Continue to send out monthly e newsletter and school holiday e newsletter.
- Spring pole wraps and street banners going up October.
- School holiday campaign
- Major Christmas campaign–see above.
Promote your local events, restaurants, bars, galleries and shops through the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW)
Tourism WA is looking to add more events, restaurants, bars, galleries and local shops to its website www.westernaustralia.com (and affiliated websites such as Australia.com and the Experience WA app). Their goal is to change the perception of a holiday in WA by showcasing the diversity and density of events, places to eat, drink and shop to potential tourists. If you run an event, own a bar, restaurant or café, gallery or shop and would like to be listed for FREE then contact the database team on 1300 369 125 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
You can find more information on eligible product here however suggestions include antique shops, markets, art galleries, local handmade wares (including jewellery) and day spas. To learn more about how ATDW can benefit your business, visit Tourism WA’s corporate site.
Quarterly report: Place Marketing January-March 2018
Quarterly report: Place Marketing October-December 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing July-September 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing April-June 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing January-March 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing October-December 2016
Quarterly report: Place Marketing July-Sept 2016
Place marketing update Apr-May 2016
Place marketing update Feb-Mar 2016
Place marketing update Dec-Jan 2016
City of Fremantle Economic Development & Marketing
T: 08 9432 9999
TTY: 08 9432 9777