New governance and funding models
In April 2018 Council approved the new governance and funding model for Fremantle destination marketing.
The new funding model will utilise the City’s existing destination marketing budget and the City Centre Differential Rate for the purpose of destination marketing.
The new governance model will see the immediate establishment of a Destination Marketing Working Group (DMWG). The purpose of the group is to develop, for council’s consideration, a destination marketing plan that supports all businesses-to-customer industries in Fremantle including retail, hospitality, professional services and traditional tourism attractions.
The group will provide advice and / or recommendations to Council on:
- The overall strategic marketing approach, including different stages over next four years.
- The ‘brand values’ and ‘unique selling points’ of Fremantle within the context of global customer trends, disruptions to major industries such as retail, and the economic development aspirations of Fremantle.
- How to achieve ongoing business community engagement in marketing activities.
- Appointment of a marketing agency and / or marketing contractors, via a normal City procurement process, to deliver destination marketing services.
- Sponsorship of existing and new private events and grass roots business activation projects.
Terms of reference for the group outline the purpose, outcomes and KPIs, formation and role of the group.
Destination Marketing Working Group
The new Destination Marketing Working Group was announced on Monday 21 May 2018.
The working group comprises:
- Chair: Linda Wayman - Former general manager of Southern Cross Media
- Karl Bullers - Chair Fremantle BID
- Olwyn Williams - CEO Fremantle Chamber of Commerce
- Abby McDowell - Marketing Manager Esplanade Hotel Fremantle by Rydges
- Chris Lewis - Director Fremantle Press
- Paula Nelson - Director Fremantle Prison
- Kate Hulett - local business owner and MANY projects manager
The working group will develop for the Fremantle Council's consideration a destination marketing plan that supports all business-to-customer industries in Fremantle including retail, hospitality, professional services and traditional tourism attractions. It will also advise the council on its overall strategic marketing approach, sponsorship and events and business activation projects.
View the media release here.
- DMWG update to business August 2018
- Ordinary Meeting of Council 18 April 2018 Minutes
- City of Fremantle media release 19 April 2018
- Destination Marketing Working Group Terms of Reference
Promote your local events, restaurants, bars, galleries and shops through the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW)
Tourism WA is looking to add more events, restaurants, bars, galleries and local shops to its website www.westernaustralia.com (and affiliated websites such as Australia.com and the Experience WA app). Their goal is to change the perception of a holiday in WA by showcasing the diversity and density of events, places to eat, drink and shop to potential tourists. If you run an event, own a bar, restaurant or café, gallery or shop and would like to be listed for FREE then contact the database team on 1300 369 125 or email@example.com .
You can find more information on eligible product here however suggestions include antique shops, markets, art galleries, local handmade wares (including jewellery) and day spas. To learn more about how ATDW can benefit your business, visit Tourism WA’s corporate site.
Quarterly report: Place Marketing January-March 2018
Quarterly report: Place Marketing October-December 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing July-September 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing April-June 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing January-March 2017
Quarterly report: Place Marketing October-December 2016
Quarterly report: Place Marketing July-Sept 2016
Place marketing update Apr-May 2016
Place marketing update Feb-Mar 2016
Place marketing update Dec-Jan 2016
City of Fremantle Economic Development & Marketing
T: 08 9432 9999
TTY: 08 9432 9777