A key role of council is to develop strategy and policy - community input is vital to this process. By adopting a project based system of advisory committees and working groups that focus on a key strategic issue, a number of key strategies or policies can be developed in partnership with the community. The City of Fremantle has established advisory and working groups to assist in this process.
Design advisory committee
In February 2010 the council established a design advisory committee (DAC) in accordance with clause 11.8 of the City of Fremantle Local Planning Scheme 4. The committee performs an advisory function only and does not make decisions on or approve applications.
The design advisory committee provides design advice to council on planning applications that involve:
- any matter that relates to a planning policy relevant to the role of the committee
- any building 11 metres or greater in height in any zone other than the residential or industrial zones as required by clause 184.108.40.206 of the City’s Local Planning Scheme No. 4.
The design advisory committee also provides design advice on other major development proposals as required by council or the planning committee, and on any relevant local planning scheme amendment, structure plan or local planning policy proposals. Please refer to Local Planning Policy 1.9 – Design advisory committee and principles of design, which includes the terms of reference of the committee for further information.
The membership of the committee is drawn from a pool of members and comprises of four to five persons at any one sitting, with a minimum of three required to deliberate on any matter. Members are highly regarded with appropriate qualifications and substantial experience in architecture and urban design.
The committee members are:
- Geoffrey London
- Dominic Snellgrove
- Melinda Payne
- Kieran Wong
- Patrick Kosky
- Marion Fredrickson (deputy 1)
- Phillip Gresley (deputy 2)
Responsible officer (not a committee member):
- City of Fremantle Manager Development Approvals.
The City is currently in the process of forming the following working groups:
- Destination marketing working group
- Reconciliation plan working group
- Age friendly/positive ageing working group
- Heart of Beaconsfield working group
- International relationships working group
More information on these groups will be available once each group is formed.
City of Fremantle
70 Parry Street
T 08 9432 9999
F 08 9430 4634
TTY 08 9432 9777