A program of engaging workshops to learn about culture by Nyoongar people: craft, arts and language classes.
Based in various venues, including at the Walyalup Aboriginal Cultural Centre (WACC), right in Fremantle.
- WACC address: 12 Captains Lane, Bathers Beach Art Precinct, Fremantle
- WACC opening hours are: Wednesday to Saturday 10.00 am - 3.00 pm, other hours by appointment
- Check out the Walyalup program - Makuru (June-July), Djilba (August-September)
- Hire a room at the WACC
- Learn about Aboriginal culture in Fremantle
Throughout the year, workshops are held at the WACC coinciding with the traditional 6 Nyoongar seasons:
Kambarang: October/November. The wildflower season and birth of many birds.
Birak: December/January. Noongar family groups moving together on the coast.
Bunuru: February/March. The hot season, camped on the coast, fishing and gathering coastal delicacies.
Djeran: April/May. The fat season, salmon schooling and couples paired up.
Makuru: June/July. Nyoongars go back inland, fertility season and swans moulting.
Djilba: August/September. Grass season and time to harvest root vegetables.
Music in this video by Eric Taylor Music.
The WACC offers comfortable rooms for hire, ideal for community groups, individuals or businesses. Rooms are available for workshops, meetings, courses or seminars.
The room available to hire includes:
- Theatre style seating for up to 25 people
- TV and DVD player