Cruise ships are a significant part of the Western Australian economy and Fremantle is a major port of call for cruise ships.
Tourism WA, in partnership with the Cruise WA Committee and industry, is working to implement the Cruise Shipping Strategic Plan 2012-2020 and promote WA’s ten cruise port destinations including Fremantle.
The City owned and operated Fremantle Visitor Centre works closely with Fremantle Ports, through a Memorandum of Understanding, to provide visitor servicing for all cruise passengers to Fremantle.
Visitor servicing levels are agreed with Fremantle Ports and each cruise ship prior to arrival in port and include:
- A self serve brochure rack at Fremantle Passenger Terminal for all cruise ship arrivals with information on what to do in and around Fremantle and maps of Fremantle and Perth.
- Cruise passenger shuttle bus* – a complimentary cruise shuttle service for international transit cruise ships which runs from the terminal into Kings Square and return.
- Directional signage - has been installed inside and outside the Fremantle passenger terminal with map holders.
- Fremantle Ambassadors – international transit cruise ship passengers are welcomed by the City’s Volunteer Ambassadors. Ambassadors are located inside the Fremantle Passenger Terminal and provide information, maps and local knowledge to visitors. The Ambassadors are also on hand at the Fremantle Visitor Centre in Kings Square.
- Maps – a passenger walking map is available at the terminal that assists passengers wishing to walk into the CBD and visit the Fremantle Visitor Centre.
*Dependent on the total number of passengers excluding those on pre booked tours
*Passengers on transit cruise ships are generally only in port exploring a destination for a day.
*Passengers for turnaround cruise ships may arrive in Fremantle prior to the ships departure or stay longer after disembarking from their cruise.
There are opportunities to promote local business directly to both transit and turnaround cruise ships. Contact the team at the Fremantle Visitor Centre to discuss ongoing opportunities and subscribe to the industry e-newsletter on the City of Fremantle’s website www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/subscribe for the latest developments in this sector.
For more information on cruise ships, cruise visitor experience research or the cruise shipping industry, go to the cruise shipping pages at tourism.wa.gov.au.
For the most up to date information on cruise ship arrivals including arrival and departure times visit the cruise ship information page on the Fremantle Ports website.