The City of Fremantle is here to work with you through the successful operation of your business. Whether you need advice, to enhance your skills or connect with others we are here to help.
City of Fremantle Business Capacity Building Program
The City of Fremantle is piloting a Capacity Building Program for local businesses until June 30, 2019. This will provide businesses with access to tailored one-on-one training, support or mentoring to assist their business operations in a tough economic climate.
Initially this program will be open to up to 40 retail or hospitality, bricks and mortar small businesses based in the City of Fremantle. The City of Fremantle will subsidise 80% of the cost of business capacity services from external providers.
After a competitive Request for Quotes process, Business Foundations were selected to service the General Business Advisory and Business Performance Assessment streams and Freo Now were selected to provide the Sales and Promotion, and Financial Management streams.
At the end of the pilot period, the City of Fremantle will consider extending and broadening the program based on the feedback of businesses and service providers.
To be eligible for the Capacity Building Program, businesses must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Retail or hospitality business as defined by the Australian Taxation Office (eg clothing store, restaurant, bike shop)
- A lease on, or ownership of, a bricks and mortar shop in the City of Fremantle (excludes popups)
- Business ownership based in City of Fremantle
- Small business as defined by Australian Bureau of Statistics (fewer than 20 employees) and the Australian Taxation Office (Annual revenue less than $2million)
- Download the application form
- Confirm that you meet all eligibility criteria
- Select one capacity building stream (more information below)
- Submit your form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once approved, you'll be connected with your selected service provider
Note that places in the program will be awarded on a "first come, first served" basis for all eligible businesses.
Capacity Building Streams
1. General Business Advice - Business Foundations www.businessfoundations.com.au/business-advice
Cost to business: $100 + GST
This package of Advisory Sessions will enable local business owners to obtain generalist business advice in a manner to identify, address and solve issues affecting their business. Through these sessions, Business Foundations’ Business Advisors will guide business owners through a series of action orientated, practical steps for the business owners to implement to improve the performance of their business in areas such as:
- Business/Corporate structure
- Business strategy
- Personal development
- Staff Development / HR Issues
- Specific business challenges or issues
2. Financial management - Freo Now www.freonow.com.au/
Cost to business: $100 + GST
- Financial planning – a high level review of your business financial systems, practical advice for improvements and a written action plan
- Cash flow analysis – a review of the health of your cash flow, how to prepare and monitor your budget, receive practical tips to improve cash flow, with a written action plan
- Operational revenue and cost analysis – a line item review of your profit and loss statement to identify efficiencies and opportunities for improvement, with a written action plan
- Accounting systems advice – a review of your accounting software (Xero, MYOB or QuickBooks), making use of automation to streamline your bookkeeping processes, tips for efficiency, ensuring that you’re ready to deal with new STP and SuperStream obligations, with a written action plan
3. Sales & promotion - Freo Now https://www.freonow.com.au/
Cost to business: $100 + GST
Marketing and promotion – this is all about ideas to create a greater presence so that you are shoppers’ first choice:
- Sales training – a four step sales process, which when applied is guaranteed to generate income
- Digital and social media – get help with posts and ideas to build your profile
- Merchandising and presentation – ideas to spruce up your shopfront and gain some added customer traffic
- Customer service – how you treat your customer is paramount to your business’ success. This session includes a phantom shop and advice on ways to improve customer engagement
4. Business Performance Assessment (Business HealthCheck) - Business Foundations www.businessfoundations.com.au/businesshealthcheck
Cost to business: $88 + GST
The Business HealthCheck is an objective business diagnostic tool, developed, proven and backed-up by the knowledge and experience of Business Foundatíons Business Advisory team and other leading industry consultants and organisations. It covers both qualitative and quantitative aspects of the business and is used to review a business’ current and historical performance. Business owners will receive an independent assessment of their strengths and weaknesses across 9 different areas, and receive a comprehensive, yet easy-to-understand report, inclusive of recommendations outlining the steps required to improve the efficiency and value of their businesses.
For information about the program, businesses can contact the City's Economic Development team at email@example.com.
Monthly forums with the Chamber of Commerce
As part of the City of Fremantle's Business Capacity Building program, the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce is hosting a series of free forums for the local business community. Forums will be podcasted and made available on the City's website.
Forum 1: 8:00am, Monday 6 May 2019 - How to navigate tight cash flow
Expert business advice
Business Foundations is a non-profit organisation delivering business assistance to small to medium businesses throughout Western Australia. If you are a Western Australian business you are eligible for government-funded support across a wide range of areas, including one-to-one professional advice.
Business Foundations run regular training and workshops on all matters of business, to help improve the performance of your business. For the latest workshop click here.
Fremantle Chamber of Commerce champions policies and strategies that improve the business environment in Fremantle, enhance community prosperity and develop a sustainable mix of business and lifestyle opportunities for Fremantle’s future. The Chamber acts as an advocate for the business community, a conduit for information and a promoter of Fremantle’s position in the regional landscape.
Freo Now is an independent, business-led organisation that provides business coaching, works to drive customers into local businesses and advocates for Fremantle small business. Fremantle businesses can become members to access Freo Now's services and programs.
Economic development and marketing
T 08 9432 9999
TTY 08 9432 9777