Flying of drones | City of Fremantle

Top Menu

Flying of drones


Australia's recreational drone safety rules are designed to protect other people in the air and on the ground.

If you plan to fly a drone within the City of Fremantle please refer to the frequently asked questions below or visit the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

If you have a complaint about the use of drones in your area or on council property, you can report it to CASA.

Frequently asked questions

Who can fly a drone?

CASA will soon introduce a requirement for drone operators to be accredited.  To find out more, visit the CASA website.

Flying commercially or for economic gain is illegal, unless you have your remote pilot licence or are flying in the sub-2kg category.

Do I need approval from the City of Fremantle to fly a drone on City property?

You do not need approval from the City to fly a drone on City property however you must comply with CASA rules.

Can I fly a drone on private property?

Yes, however the CASA rules apply.

Who can I report the unsafe use of a drone to?

You can report the unsafe operation of a drone to CASA.

For more information about drones, please contact CASA on 131 757.

Vertical Tabs