The integrated upgrade and development of the Fremantle Oval precinct into a premier community and sporting hub.
A redeveloped precinct will create jobs, provide a state-of the- art facility for community football in WA and activate the area to provide community and grass roots sporting uses all year round.
Co-tenancy of East Fremantle and South Fremantle Football Clubs.
- WAFL centre of excellence established.
- Creation of local jobs.
- Economic driver to extended city centre footprint southwards along South Terrace to link with the emerging Wray Avenue and South Fremantle commercial precincts.
- Alignment with adjacent hospital developments / master planning to achieve a comprehensive and integrated development.
- Increased usage as a community facility for events and festivals.
- Enhances heritage characteristics (ie would include restoration of heritage listed Victoria Pavilion).
The current situation
The Fremantle Football club will soon be relocating to a new training and administration facility in Cockburn leaving the club with just one permanent tenant – the South Fremantle Football Club.
- The community wants this: Fremantle Oval precinct is one of six key ‘transformational’ projects identified by the community through the detailed 2013-15 community visioning process undertaken by the City.
- Strong support of the Department of Sport and Recreation and the West Australian Football Commission.
- Strong support from the South Fremantle Football Club and the East Fremantle Football Club who indicated they would be prepared to co-locate at Fremantle Oval.
- The closure of the Fremantle Hospital’s emergency department and relocation of 1,800 jobs to Fiona Stanley Hospital have had a major impact on activity in the area, including significant decline in retail trade.
- The hospital precinct public land (in particular the car parks) are now underutilised and this land is ripe for redevelopment.
- The heritage-listed Fremantle Oval Victoria Pavilion can be restored to its former glory.
- Business plan completed – master planning underway. The City has done its bit in progressing this development.
- Funding options are being investigated but will require state government collaboration to achieve an integrated precinct-wide development.