A key role of council is to develop strategy and policy - community input is vital to this process. By adopting a project based system of advisory committees and working groups that focus on a key strategic issue, a number of key strategies or policies can be developed in partnership with the community. The City of Fremantle has established advisory and working groups to assist in this process.
Design advisory committee
In February 2010 the council established a design advisory committee (DAC) in accordance with clause 11.8 of the City of Fremantle Local Planning Scheme 4. The committee performs an advisory function only and does not make decisions on or approve applications.
The design advisory committee provides design advice to council on planning applications that involve:
- any matter that relates to a planning policy relevant to the role of the committee
- any building 11 metres or greater in height in any zone other than the residential or industrial zones as required by clause 18.104.22.168 of the City’s Local Planning Scheme No. 4.
The design advisory committee also provides design advice on other major development proposals as required by council or the planning committee, and on any relevant local planning scheme amendment, structure plan or local planning policy proposals. Please refer to Local Planning Policy 1.9 – Design advisory committee and principles of design, which includes the terms of reference of the committee for further information.
The membership of the committee is drawn from a pool of members and is comprised of four to five persons at any one sitting, with a minimum of three required to deliberate on any matter. Members are highly regarded with appropriate qualifications and substantial experience in architecture and urban design.
The committee members are:
- Mr Eamon Broderick
- Ms Jennie Officer
- Mr Dominic Snellgrove
- Mr Sam Klopper
- Mr Geoffrey London
The deputy members are:
- Mr Patrick Kosky
Mr Geoffrey London
Responsible officer (not a committee member):
- City of Fremantle Manager Development Approvals.
The City of Fremantle facilitates the following working groups:
Destination marketing working group
The working group will develop for the Fremantle Council's consideration a four year destination marketing plan that supports all business-to-customer industries in Fremantle including retail, hospitality, professional services and traditional tourism attractions. It will also advise the council on its overall strategic marketing approach, sponsorship and events and business activation projects.
The working group is comprised of:
- Chair: Linda Wayman - Former general manager of Southern Cross Media
- Karl Bullers - Chair Fremantle BID
- Olwyn Williams - CEO Fremantle Chamber of Commerce
- Abby McDowell - Marketing Manager Esplanade Hotel Fremantle by Rydges
- Chris Lewis - Director Fremantle Press
- Paula Nelson - Director Fremantle Prison
- Kate Hulett - local business owner and MANY projects manager
Please click here for more information on the Destination Marketing Working Group.
Heart of Beaconsfield working group
The purpose of the Heart of Beaconsfield Working Group is to jointly enable the coordinated planning and redevelopment of the Heart of Beaconsfield (HOB) area.
Members of the group include:
- Mayor, Brad Pettitt
- Cr Hannah Fitzhardinge
- Cr Dave Hume
- Cr Andrew Sullivan
- A representative from Department of Communities (Housing).
- Representatives from the Department of Education.
- A representative of Activ.
- A representative from Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.
- A representative from LandCorp.
Please click here for more information on the Heart of Beaconsfield .
International relations working group
The International Relations Working Group was formed to develop, for council’s consideration, documents that guide and support the City’s international relationships and review our existing international relationships.
Members of the group are:
- Mayor Brad Pettitt
- Cr Doug Thompson
- Cr Hannah Fitzhardinge
- Cr Jon Strachan
City of Fremantle
70 Parry Street
T 08 9432 9999
F 08 9430 4634
TTY 08 9432 9777