Development approval (also called Planning approval) is required for most types of development and land use in the City of Fremantle. Development includes:
- the erection, construction or demolition of any building or structure
- building alterations or additions
- excavation work.
Browse this section
- Planning FAQ
- Subdivision and amalgamation
- Structure plan areas
- Granny flats
- Development assessment panels
- Notification and consultation
- Appeal rights
For more information on planning approval please see planning FAQ.
If you wish to discuss your proposal in person with a Duty Planner, please contact the Customer Service centre on 08 9432 9999 to make an appointment. Appointments are available Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm and must be booked in advance, no same day appointments are available. Alternatively you can discuss your proposal or query with a Duty Planner over the phone on 08 9432 9999 or via email at email@example.com. When emailing, please include a draft copy of your plans or a rough sketch showing dimensions and where on the lot the proposal will be located (including distances from any boundaries) so that we may better assist you.
Other relevant information may also be found in the Your business section of this website.
Planning and Development Regulations 2015
The Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 (WA) were gazetted on 25 August 2015. The Regulations include provisions such as permitting certain types of development to be exempt from requiring approval, and setting out the matters a local government must consider when deciding to grant planning approval, among other changes to local planning schemes. If you would like to know more about the Planning and Development Regulations 2015 please visit the Western Australia Planning Commission website.
State Planning Policy 3.7 - Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas
State Planning Policy 3.7 - Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas applies to lots in designated Bushfire Prone Areas. To learn more about how this policy may affect development for your property, please visit the Bushfire planning reform page.
Please refer to the link of the WA Accredited Practitioners at http://www.fpaa.com.au/bpad.aspx for a list of accredited bushfire assessors who will be able to assist you with development requirements in these areas.
- Application for development approval
- Information required for planning applications
- Development assessment panel application requirements
- Copies of development approvals information and plans
- Additional Information for Advertisements and Signage.pdf
- Application for Section 40 Liquor Licence
- Subdivision clearance form
- Residential Design Codes
- City of Fremantle planning policies
- Local planning scheme No 4 Text
- Local Planning Scheme No.4 Map (see planning module)
City of Fremantle
70 Parry Street, Fremantle
T 08 9432 9999
F 08 9430 4634