The Fremantle Community Legal Centre provides legal information, advice and assistance to the community and limited representation regarding restraining orders at the Fremantle Magistrates Court.
All services are confidential and by appointment and include:
- Legal advice
- Tenancy and Department of Housing information and assistance
- Welfare rights information and advice
- Evening Legal Service (ELS)
Our daytime solicitors can provide you with referrals, legal advice, minor assistance and limited representation in matters including:
- family law
- restraining orders
- minor criminal law
- criminal injuries compensation
- minor civil matters.
We have a duty lawyer service which includes some representation and follow up for the restraining order lists at the Fremantle Registry of the Magistrates Court. Minor assistance is provided in family law to assist in the drafting of documents for clients, who will be litigants in person. Evening Legal Services volunteer private solicitors provide advice on a range of matters.
Evening legal service
Our evening legal service is staffed by volunteers and students, and provides a range of family and general law advice.
To make an appointment, call us and we will take your name, details and the type of legal issue you need advice on - you will then be placed on our waiting list. The rostered lawyer, who deals with your particular legal issue, will call you with an appointment time for that evening.
Our evening service is by appointment only and is available on Wednesday evenings from 5.00 pm.
Community legal education
Our staff can provide community education or community legal education in their areas of expertise.
For example, the lawyers give talks about wills, enduring powers of attorney, guardianship, and administration to community groups.
The welfare rights advocates' role is to assist people having difficulties with Centrelink. We can assist you with:
- direct negotiations with Centrelink
- information and advice about social security matters
- advice about appeal rights and the appeals system
- appeals preparation
- representing clients at the Social Security Appeals Tribunal and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal
Our tenancy advocate provides assistance to tenants concerning a variety of issues. We can assist you, if you are involved in or need:
- general tenant information
- bond disputes/release of bond
- breaches of rental agreements
We are unable to provide assistance or advice to landlords, boarders, shared accommodation or tenants against tenant disputes.
Our tenancy service has a catchment zone covering the Fremantle and surrounding areas.
The details of the fees are Effective from 1 July 2017 as set out in the table below
Payment can be made at reception - cash or EFTPOS, debit card, Mastercard or Visacard
TYPE OF SERVICE
Unemployed/Unwaged or Income under $40,000
Employed/Waged or Income between $40,000 to $70,000
Employed/Waged or Income over $70,000
Legal Advice – Day & Evening Service:
Day Service -Document Drafting:
Minute of Consent Orders
Criminal Injuries Compensation Application
FCLC offers a Low Fixed Fee Legal Service to clients who do not meet the criteria for the day service. Please contact our administration for a schedule of fees after you have received a one-off advice.
Information sheets for clients:
- Mediating in the Family Court - Best interests of the Child principles
- Misconduct Restraining Orders
- Representing yourself in criminal court
- Spousal Maintenance
- Violence Restraining Orders
- Wills Probate and Letters of Administration
- Information on preparing a will
Level 1, Suite 31 (Fremantle Malls)
35 William Street
Fremantle WA 6160
T 08 9432 9790