Fremantle Community Legal Centre | City of Fremantle

Fremantle Community Legal Centre

About Fremantle Community Legal Centre

The Fremantle Community Legal Centre is a non-profit organisation which provides legal services to low income members of the community. The centre is a nationally accredited community legal centre, managed by the City of Fremantle that has been operating for over 30 years.

It  is funded by the City of Fremantle, Law Society of WA, State and Federal Attorney General's Departments and the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.


Family Violence Restraining Order Information                                      Can we help you?                     


Services we offer

  • Legal advice (limited areas)
  • Document drafting
  • Limited court representation, including a Duty Lawyer service at Fremantle Magistrates Court for applicants in Family Violence Restraining Order and Violence Restraining Order matters.
  • Mediation
  • Information and referrals
  • Non-legal support
  • Community legal education

Areas of practice

  • Family Law, including parenting, financial/property and divorce
  • Restraining Orders (we do not assist with Misconduct Restraining Order's, respondents for Family Violence Restraining Order's or Violence Restraining Order's or in instances of neighbour disputes).
  • Criminal Injuries Compensation
  • Minor Civil and Criminal matters (in very limited circumstances)


To access our service, Fremantle Community Legal Centre must be your closest community legal centre and you must meet one or more of the following criteria, which includes:

  • Financially disadvantaged
  • Culturally and linguistically diverse
  • Homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • Victim of family violence
  • Children at risk
  • Significant mental health issues or disability
  • Any other extenuating circumstances of vulnerability

To request legal advice please complete this form and we will return your call within three (3) business working days.

Family and domestic violence

Our Family Violence lawyer provides a holistic service for victims of family violence in the Fremantle area.

The service provides legal and non-legal services and support, to assist women and children experiencing domestic violence, and to support women to access other services, including crisis accommodation, counselling and other support.

Clients who are financially disadvantaged and are referred from organisations, including victim support, hospitals and refuges in the Fremantle area can access this service.


Our tenant advocate encourages clients to act on their own behalf but assist with:

  • general Tenancy Information
  • advocacy and Court Representation
  • evictions
  • bond disputes/release of bond
  • breach of tenant rental agreements
  • assessment and referral for any other tangential matters.

We do not provide advice to landlords or in respect of neighbour disputes.

Useful links

Tenancy WA 
Welfare Rights and Advocacy Service
Housing Authority
Department of Commerce

Welfare rights advocacy

Our welfare rights advocate encourages clients to self-help, but can assist with:

  • Information about social security rights and entitlements
  • Advice on social security matters and the appeal system
  • Advocacy with Centrelink on behalf of extremely vulnerable clients
  • Limited representation with appeals (within the internal review process and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal)

We do not provide advice on social security prosecution matter.

Useful links

Welfare Rights and Advocacy Service
Administrative Appeals Tribunal
Sussex Street Community Law Centre

Evening legal service

Private lawyers provide one-off pro bono appointments every second Wednesday evening.

Areas of practice include but not limited to:

  • Criminal Matters, including Traffic
  • Civil Matters, including Debt
  • Inheritance, Wills & Estates
  • Family Law
  • Employment Law

Evening Legal Service does not review or draft any documents.


Fremantle Community Legal Centre offers a mediation service for all practice areas for a fixed rate. We are not a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners and cannot issue s601 certificates for parenting matters.


All information sheets are available in other formats, meaning that it can be requested in other languages.  To request an information sheet in another language please use the form at the end of this page and state the language you need the information to be provided in.  The we will endeavour to make the information available in 1 to 3 working days. Please leave provide an email address where you would like the information sent.



Office address

Level 1, Suite 31 Fremantle Malls, 35 William Street, Fremantle WA 6160

Postal Address

PO Box 807, Fremantle WA 6959


Monday to Friday
9am to 4pm 

All services by appointment only.


T 08 9432 9790
F 08 9432 9794

Complaints: complete the online form

Vertical Tabs