About Fremantle Community Legal Centre
The Fremantle Community Legal Centre is a non-profit organisation which provides legal services to low income members of the community. The centre is a nationally accredited community legal centre, managed by the City of Fremantle that has been operating for over 30 years. It is funded by the City of Fremantle, Law Society of WA, State and Federal Attorney General's Departments and the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
Services we offer
- Legal advice (limited areas)
- Document drafting
- Limited court representation, including a Duty Lawyer service at Fremantle Magistrates Court for applicants in Family Violence Restraining Order and Violence Restraining Order matters.
- Information and referrals
- Non-legal support
- Community legal education
Areas of practice
- Family Law, including parenting, financial/property and divorce
- Restraining Orders (we do not assist with Misconduct Restraining Order's, respondents for Family Violence Restraining Order's or Violence Restraining Order's or in instances of neighbour disputes).
- Criminal Injuries Compensation
- Minor Civil and Criminal matters (in very limited circumstances)
To access our service, Fremantle Community Legal Centre must be your closest community legal centre and you must meet one or more of the following criteria, which includes:
- Financially disadvantaged
- Culturally and linguistically diverse
- Homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Victim of family violence
- Children at risk
- Significant mental health issues or disability
- Any other extenuating circumstances of vulnerability
To request legal advice please complete this form and we will return your call within three (3) business working days.
Family and domestic violence
Our Family Violence lawyer provides a holistic service for victims of family violence in the Fremantle area. The service provides legal and non-legal services and support, to assist women and children experiencing domestic violence, and to support women to access other services, including crisis accommodation, counselling and other support. Clients who are financially disadvantaged and are referred from organisations, including victim support, hospitals and refuges in the Fremantle area can access this service.
Our tenant advocate encourages clients to act on their own behalf but assist with:
- general Tenancy Information
- advocacy and Court Representation
- bond disputes/release of bond
- breach of tenant rental agreements
- assessment and referral for any other tangential matters.
We do not provide advice to landlords or in respect of neighbour disputes.
Welfare rights advocacy
Our welfare rights advocate encourages clients to self-help, but can assist with:
- Information about social security rights and entitlements
- Advice on social security matters and the appeal system
- Advocacy with Centrelink on behalf of extremely vulnerable clients
- Limited representation with appeals (within the internal review process and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal)
We do not provide advice on social security prosecution matter.
Evening legal service
Private lawyers provide one-off pro bono appointments every second Wednesday evening.
Areas of practice include but not limited to:
- Criminal Matters, including Traffic
- Civil Matters, including Debt
- Inheritance, Wills & Estates
- Family Law
- Employment Law
Evening Legal Service does not review or draft any documents
Fremantle Community Legal Centre offers a mediation service for all practice areas for a fixed rate. We are not a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners and cannot issue s601 certificates for parenting matters.
Low fixed-fee service
Fremantle Community Legal Centre offers a low fixed-fee service to clients who are not eligible for our ordinary service. This service is only offered on a case by case basis following an assessment of each matter
The details of the fees are effective from 1 August 2019 as set out in the table below
Payment can be made at reception - cash or EFTPOS, debit card, Mastercard or Visa Card
|TYPE OF SERVICE|
Income under $40,000
$40,000 to $70,000
Income over $70,000
|Legal Advice -|
Day Service - Document Drafting (Parenting Only)
Parenting Plan/Minute of Consent Orders
$385.00 - $660.00
$385.00 - $660.00
|Criminal Injuries Compensation||$50.00||$250.00||Cost Agreement|
Fremantle Community Legal Centre offers a 'Low Fixed Legal Service' to client who do not meet the criteria for the day service. Please contact our administration for a schedule of fees after you have received a one-off advice.
All information sheets are available in other formats, meaning that it can be requested in other languages. To request an information sheet in another language please use the form at the end of this page and state the language you need the information to be provided in. The we will endeavour to make the information available in 1 to 3 working days. Please leave provide an email address where you would like the information sent.
- Mediating in the Family Court - Best interests of the Child principles
- Misconduct Restraining Orders
- Representing yourself in criminal court
- Spousal Maintenance
- Violence Restraining Orders
- Wills Probate and Letters of Administration
- Information on preparing a will
Level 1, Suite 31 Fremantle Malls, 35 William Street, Fremantle WA 6160
PO Box 807, Fremantle WA 6959
Monday to Friday
9.00 am to 4.00 pm
All services by appointment only