WHAT IS FCLC?
The Fremantle Community Legal Centre (FCLC) is a nationally accredited community legal centre, managed by the City of Fremantle that has been operating for over 30 years.
Services we offer
- legal advice (limited areas)
- document drafting
- limited court representation, unclusing a duty lawyer service at Fremantle Magistrates Court for applicants in FVRO and VRO matters.
- information and referrals
- non-legal support
- community legal education.
The lawyers at FCLC provide legal advice, minor assistance, document drafting, limited representation and provide referrals.
Areas of practice
- family Law, including parenting, financial/property and divorce
- restraining Orders (we do not assist with MRO'S, respondents for FVRO's or VRO's or in instances of neighbour disputes).
- criminal Injuries Compensation
- minor Civil and Criminal matters (in very limited circumstances).
Family and domestic violence
Our Family Violence lawyer provides a holistic service for victims of family violence in the Fremantle area. The service provides legal and non-legal services and support, to assist women and children experiencing domestic violence, and to support women to access other services, including crisis accommodation, counselling and other support. Clients who are financially disadvantaged and are referred from organisations, including victim support, hospitals and refuges in the Fremantle area can access this service.
Our tenant advocate encourages clients to act on their own behalf but assist with:
- general Tenancy Information
- advocacy and Court Representation
- bond disputes/release of bond
- breach of tenant rental agreements
- assessment and referral for any other tangential matters.
We do not provide advice to landlords or in respect of neighbour disputes.
Welfare rights advocacy
Our welfare rights advocate encourages clients to self-help, but can assist with:
- Information about social security rights and entitlements
- Advice on social security matters and the appeal system
- Advocacy with Centrelink on behalf of extremely vulnerable clients
- Limited representation with appeals (within the internal review process and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal)
We do not provide advice on social security prosecution matter
Evening legal service
Private lawyers provide one-off pro-bono appointments every second Wednesday evening.
Areas of practice include but not limited to:
- Criminal Matters, including Traffic
- Civil Matters, including Debt
- Inheritance, Wills & Estates
- Family Law
- Employment Law
ELS does not review or draft any documents
FCLC offers a mediation service for all practice areas for a fixed rate. We are not a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners and cannot issue S601 Certificates for parenting matters.
Please contact us for more information
To access our service, FCLC must be your closest community legal centre and you must meet one of the following criteria, which includes:
- Financially disadvantaged
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse
- Homeless or at risk of Homelessness
- Victim of Family Violence
- Children at Risk
- Significant Mental Health Issues or Disability
- Any other extenuating circumstances of vulnerability
Low fixed-fee service
FCLC offers a low fixed-fee service to clients who are not eligible for our ordinary service. This service is only offered on a case by case basis following an assessment of each matter
The details of the fees are Effective from 1 July 2017 as set out in the table below
Payment can be made at reception - cash or EFTPOS, debit card, Mastercard or Visacard
TYPE OF SERVICE
Unemployed/Unwaged or Income under $40,000
Employed/Waged or Income between $40,000 to $70,000
Employed/Waged or Income over $70,000
Legal Advice – Day & Evening Service:
Day Service -Document Drafting:
Minute of Consent Orders
Criminal Injuries Compensation Application
Information sheets for clients:
- Mediating in the Family Court - Best interests of the Child principles
- Misconduct Restraining Orders
- Representing yourself in criminal court
- Spousal Maintenance
- Violence Restraining Orders
- Wills Probate and Letters of Administration
- Information on preparing a will
Level 1, Suite 31 Fremantle Malls, 35 William Street, Fremantle WA 6160
PO Box 807, Fremantle WA 6959
Monday to Friday
9.00 am to 4.00 pm