Fences and Retaining walls | City of Fremantle

Top Menu

Fences and Retaining walls


This document contains general information regarding retaining walls, including when approvals are required.

The Dividing Fences Act 1961 is an act relating to the construction and repair of dividing fences between certain lands and for incidental and other purposes.

Generally, the City does not require you to obtain a building permit to construct a dividing or boundary fence using materials such as fibro-cement sheets, colorbond or timber.

The Building Regulations 2012, schedule 4 - states whether a building permit is required, depending on the type of fence to be installed, which is usually determined by the height requirements.

Building work for which building permit is not required;

Construction, erection, assembly or placement of a fence, screen or similar structure, other than a fence forming part of a barrier to a private swimming pool, if -

(a) the fence, screen or similar structure is constructed in accordance with a local law made under the Local Government Act 1995 section 9.60 that applies to the construction of the fence, screen or similar structure in the district in which the fence, screen or similar structure is, or is to be, located; or

(b) the fence, screen, or similar structure is, or is to be, located in a district in which there is no local law of a type referred to in paragraph (a) and the fence, screen or similar structure -

(i) if constructed of masonry, is no more than 0.75m in height; and

(ii) if constructed of a material other than masonry, is no more than 1.8m in height; and

(iii) is not located in wind region C or D as defined in AS 1170.2.

There are information check sheets available on the City's website to provide advice of the minimum information required to submit an application for building permit, if one is required. In addition to this, you may also require a Development Approval. Please contact the City's Planning department should you require additional information regarding whether an approval is required.

Information regarding dividing fence matters can be obtained from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety.

Vertical Tabs