A child can use around 4,000 nappies during their younger years. Nappies pose a risk of contamination in the recycling and FOGO bins, and takes around 500 years to decompose in landfill. Disposable nappies are also considerably more expensive, around double the cost of modern cloth nappies cost annually.
To reduce the environmental impact of disposable nappies, the City of Fremantle is offering a rebate of 50%, up to $100 per household on the hire or purchase of modern cloth nappies.
For example: Spend $90 and receive a $45 rebate, or spend $400 and receive $100.
This rebate is available until 30 June 2024, with final applications accepted no later than close of business 16 June 2024.
You can purchase modern cloth nappies through an Australian supplier (with an ABN). This includes all-in-ones, two-in-ones, swim nappies, terry/pre-fold nappies, and nappy liners, boosters, covers and inserts.
A hire option is also available from the Nappy Guru, which provides an opportunity to trial different brands, newborn options or night nappies before committing.
Only modern cloth nappies will be considered for this rebate. Accessories, for example: wipes and wet bags, are not included. Postage costs are also not included.
Adult modern cloth nappies
To discuss alternatives for adult modern cloth nappies, please contact the Waste Minimisation Officer before application by email or 1300 MY FREO (1300 693 736).
To be eligible, City of Fremantle residents must:
- Have not applied for the rebate previously.
- Attend a Nappy Guru workshop hosted by the City of Fremantle or another organisation within 8 months of application. Proof of residency will be required for application if the workshop is not held by the City of Fremantle.
- Purchase modern cloth nappies through an Australian supplier (with an ABN) or hire cloth nappies through the Nappy Guru, within eight months of application. Retain a copy of the tax invoice. Multiple receipts are acceptable for the application if required, however, only one application may be made per household.
- Apply for a rebate through the City of Fremantle.
You will need the following documents:
- Proof of residency is required (recent copy of driver’s license, rates notice, a rental agreement containing your name and address), and,
- Copy of tax invoices for purchase or hire. Receipts must clearly state the business details, ABN, listed items and the total amount of purchase.
- Proof of attendance at workshop or other educational membership, if the workshop was not hosted by the City of Fremantle.
Any incomplete or missing information will result in the application being rejected. Applicants are welcome to reapply with the correct information.
Submit your application:
Having troubles with the form? Please email the Waste Minimisation Officer.
The workshops will cover the types, materials and components of the nappy, fitting demonstration, cost savings, care and troubleshooting. It is suitable for parents who are new or just need some help with modern cloth nappies.
Eventbrite booking link
|28 March 2023||12-2pm||North Fremantle Community Centre, 2 Thompson Road, North Fremantle||NA|
|18 April 2023||10am-12noon||Blue Gum Community Centre, 33 Moolyeen Road, Brentwood||NA|
|1 May 2023||6.30-8.30pm||Online||NA|
|8 June 2023||10am-12noon||Sullivan Hall, 2 Nannine Avenue, White Gum Valley||NA|
|29 July 2023||10am-12noon||City of Cockburn: Treenby Community and Sports Centre, 1 Torwood Avenue, Treenby||NA|
|16 August 2023||6.30-8.30pm||Online Webinar||NA|
|5 September 2023||10am-12noon||
City of Melville: Willagee Community Centre, 41 Winnacott Street, Willagee
|28 October 2023||9.30-11.30am||City of Cockburn: Success Library, 11 Wentworth Parade Success||Tickets here|
|10/11/2023||10am-12noon||Sullivan Hall, 2 Nannine Ave White Gum Valley||Tickets here|
More dates coming soon.
If the above dates do not suit you, then please visit booking platforms like Eventbrite for other options.
The City of Fremantle will also accept attendance in other modern cloth nappy workshops organised by other businesses or local governments with proof attached to the application.
Applicants who attend a City of Fremantle workshop will have $5 of the ticket price refunded upon successful application.