A child can use around 4,000 nappies during their younger years. Nappies pose a risk of contamination in the recycling and FOGO bins, and takes around 500 years to decompose in landfill. Disposable nappies are also considerably more expensive, around double the cost of modern cloth nappies cost annually.
To reduce the environmental impact of disposable nappies, the City of Fremantle is offering a rebate of 50%, up to $150 per household on the hire or purchase of modern cloth nappies.
For example: Spend $90 and receive a $45 rebate, or spend $400 and receive $150.
This rebate is available until 30 June 2022.
You can purchase modern cloth nappies through an Australian supplier (with an ABN). This includes all-in-ones, two-in-ones, swim nappies, terry/pre-fold nappies, and nappy liners, boosters, covers and inserts.
A hire option is also available from the Nappy Guru, which provides an opportunity to trial different brands, newborn options or night nappies before committing.
Only modern cloth nappies will be considered for this rebate. Accessories, for example: wipes and wet bags, are not included. Postage costs are also not included.
Adult modern cloth nappies
To discuss alternatives for adult modern cloth nappies, please contact the Waste Minimisation Officer before application by email or 1300 MY FREO (1300 693 736).
To be eligible, City of Fremantle residents must:
- Have not applied for the rebate previously.
- Attend a Nappy Guru workshop hosted by the City of Fremantle, Town of East Fremantle or the City of Melville, within six months of application. Proof of residency will be required for application.
- Purchase modern cloth nappies through an Australian supplier (with an ABN) or hire cloth nappies through the Nappy Guru, within three months of application. Retain a copy of the tax invoice. Multiple receipts are acceptable for the application if required, however, only one application may be made per household.
- Apply for a rebate through the City of Fremantle.
You will need two documents:
- Proof of residency is required (recent copy of driver’s license, rates notice, a rental agreement containing your name and address), and,
- Copy of tax invoice for purchase or hire. Multiple receipts accepted.
Submit your application:
Having troubles with the form? Please email the Waste Minimisation Officer.
The workshops will cover the types, materials and components of the nappy, fitting demonstration, cost savings, care and troubleshooting. It is suitable for parents who are new or just need some help with modern cloth nappies.
Many workshops are organised from June 2021 – June 2022 within the City of Fremantle, Town of East Fremantle and City of Melville:
Eventbrite booking link
|26 October 2021||6-8pm||The Meeting Place Community Centre, 245 South Tce, South Fremantle||Click here for tickets|
|22 November 2021||10am-12noon||Piney Lakes Environmental Centre, Winthrop||Click for tickets here|
|7 December 2021||12–2pm||Samson Recreation Centre, Samson||Click here for tickets|
|22 February 2022||10am–12noon||North Fremantle Community Centre, North Fremantle||Click here for tickets|
|15 March 2022||11am-1pm||East Fremantle Lawn Tennis Club, East Fremantle||Click for tickets here|
|27 April 2022||12–2pm||Fremantle PCYC, Hilton||Click here for tickets|
|21 June 2022||10am–12noon||North Fremantle Community Centre, North Fremantle||Click here for tickets|
Residents are welcome to attend any of the workshops above. A small fee applies to attend, however, $5 will be refunded upon successful application of rebate.
And please share the Modern Cloth Nappy Rebate flyer (265kb) with friends, family, workplace and groups.