One Planet Living in Fremantle
The City of Fremantle has used the One Planet Living framework since 2014 to both influence and track the sustainability of its operations and how it works with the community.
One Planet Living is a vision for a sustainable world where people lead healthy, happy lives within their fair share of the earth's resources. It is basically a short cut way of saying, the City of Fremantle cares about doing things better for people and the planet.
Through using One Planet Living, the City continues to reduce the environmental cost of its operations, contribute to a more equitable society, and build a thriving and diverse local economy.
The City of Fremantle is proud of its status as a Global Leader in One Planet Living.
One Planet Fremantle Framework
The One Planet Fremantle Framework 2020-30 explains how One Planet Living continues to guide and be used as a lens through which to view and track the sustainability of the City’s operations and work with its community.
One Planet Action Plan 2020-25
The Framework is supported by the One Planet Action Plan 2020-25 which aims to guide and track the City’s progress towards meeting its targets.
One Planet Living Principles
The framework is based on 10 sustainability principles:
One Planet targets
While the City is working across all the One Planet Living principles, the One Planet Fremantle Framework contains targets for areas that are both measurable and within the City’s capability and control to influence.
Equity and local economy
- 2% total procurement target for goods and services from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owned businesses, managed and/or staffed businesses.
- 4% of City employees are Indigenous and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
Land and nature
- Average of 1000 trees per year as per annual tree planting targets in Urban Forest Plan.
- Increase tree canopy cover to 20% by 2027.
- Corporate ground water: do not exceed allocation set by Department of Water.
- Corporate scheme water: reduce 10% over the next 5 years based on 2019 data.
- Community scheme water: 10% reduction over the next 5 years based on 2019 data.
Travel and transport
- Reduce journey-to-work mode share of for private car to 45% by the 2026 Census (down from 50% in 2016).
- To 2025, maintain at least 50% of staff commuting without a car for the majority of the journey; increase this to 70% 2030.
- Meet WA state targets of 67% diversion from landfill by 2025 and 70% by 2030 of business and household waste, exceeding this wherever possible.
- 80% of residents have access to FOGO by 2025.
- Reduce waste generated by City operations by 20% (from 2018/19 baseline).
Zero carbon energy
- Power City of Fremantle buildings, parks and streetlights with renewable electricity by 2025.
- Maintain carbon neutral status through to 2030 by minimising emissions and purchasing accredited offsets.
Progress to towards meeting the remaining principle outcomes is also tracked and reported on qualitatively.
- One Planet Fremantle Annual Report 2019
- One Planet Fremantle Annual Report 2018
- One Planet Fremantle Annual Report 2017
- One Planet Fremantle Annual Report 2016
- One Planet Fremantle Annual Report 2015
City of Fremantle
70 Parry Street
T 08 9432 9999
F 08 9430 5883