Our Corporate Target: The City of Fremantle will maintain its pledge of carbon neutrality for corporate emissions to 2020 via a mix of green power purchase options, renewable energy, and energy efficiency measures and have in place a plan to being 100% powered by renewable energy by 2025.
Our Community Target: The City of Fremantle will support the community to access a range of green power purchase options, renewable energy and energy efficiency measures and encourage uptake of new technologies through financial and rebate style incentives, with a goal of City of Fremantle becoming zero carbon by 2025.
The City of Fremantle has a dedicated program of development for renewable energy and energy efficiency projects which includes widespread installation of solar energy solutions, installation of LED lighting in parks and public places and a major upgrade of the Fremantle Leisure Centre to geothermal and renewable energy sources.
See how the City's commitment to solar / renewable energy reduces our ‘black’ energy use in real time here.
The City operates under a policy of carbon neutrality that measures carbon emissions from all City operations and facilities to implement a program of energy generation and carbon reduction measures to support the reduction of that total. 'Residual emissions' are calculated following the assessment of the City's reduction plan and then offset - making the carbon balance zero or 'neutral'.
City staff implement a range of efficiency measures that best 'fit' the organisational mandate across all business units. The City aims to increase community engagement through a range of fun and creative emissions reduction programs including tree planting, energy efficiency and waste reduction.
- Support for Low Carbon Schools Program
- Commitment to WALGA Climate Change Declaration
- Carbon budget development and carbon accounting system
- Renewable Energy Program (including solar, geothermal and co / tri generation projects)
- City owned public lighting upgrades to LED
- Real Time energy monitoring software system – Greensense View
- South Fremantle solar farm
- Development of City-wide energy plan
- Support for CitySwitch program
- Electric vehicle highway charging station