Ongoing - early 2021
Objectives and benefits
At $270m it’s by far the biggest project ever undertaken by a Fremantle Council and is up there as one of the most important developments in Fremantle’s history.
This once-in-a-generation project will see central Fremantle transformed into a vibrant civic, community and commercial hub in coming years.
The project will create more than 2,100 new local jobs for Fremantle once operational – injecting $358m into the local economy.
The project will redefine Kings Square as the true heart of Freo and above all will become a more attractive place for people.
It means more workers, more activity during the working week, more people that may move to Fremantle to be closer to work in the city centre, more shops, more money for the local economy, more indirect jobs created, more community events, improved community safety and a better reputation for Fremantle. With more activity, the city centre will be a better place to live in, work in and visit.
It will also be a catalyst for more investment in Freo – the more people that want to visit, live and work in Freo, the more attractive it becomes to open new businesses and build new housing options.
It’s a game changing project for Fremantle which will deliver:
- Innovative and high-quality specialty retail and dining precincts
- New commercial spaces including office accommodation for more than 1,500 state government employees relocating to Fremantle
- A revamped city square complete with landscaped grassed areas and tree canopies, public art and new street furniture
- New children’s play space
- Accessible toilets and change facilities
- State-of-the-art, library and visitor centre experiences
- Civic administration building with purpose-built indoor and outdoor community spaces and meeting rooms
- Extensive lighting and CCTV precinct surveillance
7 October 2020 | What's in a name? Help us get it right
24 September 2020 | New fig tree takes pride of place in Kings Square
8 September 2020 | Kings Square library design coming to life
8 September 2020 | Final preparations underway for Kings Square fig tree relocation
28 August 2020 | Jacarandas coming to Kings Square
8 April | Walyalup Civic Centre taking shape
23 March 2020 | Department of Communities now part of the Freo family
28 February 2020 | State government workers to get a warm welcome in Freo
30 August 2019 | Lotterywest comes t o play in Kings Square
30 July 2019 | Kings Square public realm contract awarded
30 May 2019 | Kings Square public spaces a priority for council
20 February 2019 | Fremantle's King Square construction contract awarded
1 November 2019 | Fremantle Council selects Pindan as preferred builder
7 March 2018 | Kings Square demo ramps up
17 January 2018 | Archaeological dig in Kings Square
Visit the official Kings Square Fremantle Renewal website.