Private swimming pools

If you own a private swimming pool in Western Australia you are required to provide a barrier that surrounds the pool or spa in accordance with Australian Standard AS 1926.1 - 2012 (incorporating Amendment No. 1 only) and part 3.9 of Volume 2 of the National Construction Code.  The drowning of a child is not only tragic but it can also have legal implications for the pool owners.

If you wish to install a private swimming pool or spa, you must apply for a building permit for the pool/spa, and the barrier. The City inspects pools and spas on a three yearly cycle. 

This fact sheet by the Building Commission provides general information about the building approvals process for your new swimming pool or spa and it’s safety barrier. 

The City of Fremantle is required to inspect known swimming pools and spas at least once in every four years.  

A pool or spa includes a blow up or portable above ground pool when it can contain water that is more than 300 mm deep.

Please refer to:

Contact us

Building Services
City of Fremantle
Fremantle Oval
70 Parry Street, Fremantle
T 1300 693 736
F 08 9430 4634

Vertical Tabs