The Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Scholarships provide a unique opportunity for young people in Fremantle to have a real high seas adventure.Successful applicants will learn life and leadership skills through a hands-on seven day sailing voyage aboard a magnificent sailing ship the STS Leeuwin II. Leeuwin Voyages are endorsed by the Curriculum Council of WA, the Duke of Edinburgh Award and some Maritime Studies pathways. Click here to find out what Educational Pathways are available.
Applications for the Ultimate Challenge Voyages close 9am, Friday 15 January 2021.
2020–21 Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Scholarships
Scholarship terms and conditions
- Young person is the correct age requirement for the voyages below at the time the voyage departs.
- Young person must live, work, or attend an educational facility/youth services in the City of Fremantle.
- All relevant sections of the application form must be completed and signed.
- A letter of support is required, outlining how the scholarship will benefit the applicant (including academic and personal development). This could be from an employer, teacher, a mentor at school or university, or support staff at youth service in Fremantle.
- Participants are to grant the City of Fremantle and the Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Foundation the right to use any images, video or testimonials recorded during the voyage for promotional purposes, including social media, but excluding commercial usage.
- Applicants can’t select another voyage other than the one offered.
- The selected applicant will be required to pay a $25.00 administration fee. A staff member will contact you afterwards for this.
- Applicants are responsible for their own transport to the voyage’s departure and arrival locations.
- Applicants are to provide feedback to the City in a medium of their choice (written journal, visual diary).
- Applicants acknowledge that they will have the responsibility to represent the City of Fremantle and their local community.
These are the voyage options to choose from:
Ultimate Challenge (caters for people with some mild disabilities) #2103 Voyage Tuesday 2 February–Saturday 6 February 2021, ages 14 +
A 5-day voyage designed specifically for young people with intellectual, mild physical and/or a sensory disability. Leeuwin Ocean Adventure’s Ultimate Challenge voyage is Australia’s only tall ship program for people with disability. This voyage aims to be as inclusive as possible, there is a high support staff ratio and medical staff on board. Please check directly with the Leeuwin if you have queries around how you can be supported and accommodated.
Ultimate Challenge (as Support Participant) #2103 Voyage Tuesday 2 February–Saturday 6 February 2021, ages 18+
This is a unique and rewarding way to experience the Leeuwin. Support participants assist with achievement of tasks, goals and aspirations of the men and women with a disability on board. Support participants must be aged 18 years or older at the start of the voyage. Support participants need to be relatively fit and willing and able to provide physical assistance where needed and act as mentors for participants with disability. Support participants take part in all activities on board. If you are a student in Health, Community or Disability services work this is an ideal opportunity to gain some practical hands on experience to aid you working in this sector.
How to apply:
- Check you meet the criteria.
- Approach someone who can write a ‘letter of support’ for you.
- Fill out the application form for the correct voyage you wish to apply for.
- Save both of these attachments as an electronic copy.
- Complete the online form and upload your attachments by the closing date.
Applications open to 9am, Friday 15 January 2021.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their submission by Wednesday 20 January 2021.
For further information please contact the Community Development team on 9432 9874 or firstname.lastname@example.org.