The Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Scholarships provide a unique opportunity for young people in Fremantle to have a real high seas adventure.
Successful applicants will learn life and leadership skills through a hands-on seven day sailing voyage aboard a magnificent sailing ship the STS Leeuwin II.
Leeuwin Voyages are endorsed by the Curriculum Council of WA, click here to find out how you can earn 1 WACE unit.
There are three Youth Explorer scholarships and one Ultimate Challenge scholarship available.
Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Scholarship dates for 2018 - 2019 are:
- Youth Explorer 1818: 16 -22 December 2018
- Applications are now closed for this voyage
- Ultimate Challenge UC19: 11-15 February 2019
- Applications close: 5:00pm, Friday 4 January 2019
- The Ultimate Challenge is designed for young people with physical, sensory or intellectual limitations.
- Future Connect 1906: 12-18 March 2019
- Applications close 5:00pm, Friday 8 February 2019
- Future Connect welcomes 20 Western Australians, aged 16 - 25 from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) or refugee background and 20 young people raised in WA to come together through adventure, exploration and discovery. The scholarship is available to a young person from a CALD or refugee background.
- City of Fremantle Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Scholarships information sheet
- Youth Explorer and Future Connect Application Form
- Ultimate Challenge Application Form
- Information for students
- Information for teachers
Youth explorer and all scholarship terms and conditions:
- Young person must be between 14 and 25 years of age when the voyage departs.
- Young person must live, work, or attend an educational facility/youth services in the City of Fremantle.
- All relevant sections of the application form must be completed and signed.
- A letter of support is required, outlining how the scholarship will benefit the applicant (including academic and personal development). This could be from a an employer, teacher, a mentor at school or university, or support staff at youth service in Fremantle.
- Participants are to grant the City of Fremantle and the Leeuwin Ocean Adventure Foundation the right to use any images, video or testimonials recorded during the voyage for promotional purposes, including social media, but excluding commercial usage.
- Applicants can’t select another voyage other than the one offered.
- Applicants are responsible for their own transport to the voyage’s departure and arrival locations.
- Applicants are to provide feedback to the City in a medium of their choice (written journal, visual diary).
- Applicants acknowledge that they will have the responsibility to represent the City of Fremantle and their local community.
Additional terms and conditions for Ultimate Challenge Scholarship
- Participants must not require the use of a wheelchair.
- Must be able to have a reasonable level of self-care (showering, toileting and dressing with minimal supervision/ reminders). If this is an issue, please speak to us directly as arrangements may allow those who meet all other requirements still eligible.
- Must be able to climb stairs and a ladder from below deck unaided in case of emergency.
- Must have a consent form signed by the individual, a witness (preferably carer or legal guardian) and their GP.
- Must be approved 'medically fit' by the Leeuwin Medical Officer, via documentation (application form) or interview if necessary.
Additional terms and conditions for Future Connect Scholarship
- Young person must be between 16 – 25 years of age when the voyage departs.
- Young person must be from a Cultural and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) or a refugee background.
Join the adventure, apply now:
- Check you meet the criteria.
- Approach someone who can write a ‘letter of support’ for you.
- Download and complete either the Youth Explorer and Future Connect Application Form or the Ultimate Challenge Application Form.
- Save both of these attachments as an electronic copy
- Complete the online form and upload your attachments before the closing date.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their submission within two weeks of each closing date.
For further information please contact the Community Development Team on 9432 9874 or email@example.com.