Parks and verges FAQ | City of Fremantle

Parks and verges FAQ


Who do I talk to about dangerous trees on verges?

Contact our parks and landscape team on 1300 MYFREO (1300 693 736) to arrange for the tree to be inspected and to take necessary action.

Who can I talk to about trees overhanging my property?

For all verge trees enquiries, contact our parks and landscape team on 1300 MYFREO (1300 693 736). For trees on private property, contact your neighbour or refer to the dividing fences brochure produced by the Building Commission of Western Australia.

Can I prune my street tree?

The City of Fremantle's tree planting and preservation policy states that the City is responsible for the pruning of all street trees. Qualified City officers will routinely prune street and verge trees. Contact our parks and landscape team on 1300 MYFREO (1300 693 736).

Who do I speak to about removal of trees on a verge?

The City of Fremantle has strict guidelines for considering the removal of trees. If there is a tree that you would like considered removed, you will need to make a submission in writing to the Parks and Landscape Coordinator. Click here to send an email or post to City of Fremantle, PO Box 807, Fremantle 6959.

Can I have a tree planted on my verge?

The City of Fremantle takes requests for the annual tree planting program. Advertisements are placed in the local newspaper in March each year that call for submissions. Contact our parks and landscape team on 1300 MYFREO (1300 693 736) for more information.

Will the City mow my verge?

Due to budget reductions as a result of the financial impacts of COVID-19, the City has suspended its residential verge mowing program.

Fremantle is one of very few local government areas to offer verge mowing as an extra service to residents in certain areas of the City and, unfortunately, we have had to discontinue this practice in 2020–21.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope residents will continue to show the same community pride in keeping verges tidy.

The City will continue to mow major road verges, hazardous road verges, pedestrian access ways and medians.

Can I have mulch for my verge?

Currently the City’s free mulch collection is under review and until further notice.

However, another source of mulch supply can be located online at

Keep mulch well maintained and ensure it does not spill on the footpath or road. Some topsoil might need to be removed from the verge to keep the mulch level with the top of the kerb and footpath.

Please refer to the Verge Beautification Guidelines information available online for further information on verges; or the Parks and Landscape team will post a copy to the customer.

Who do I speak to about maintenance of parks and gardens?

Contact our parks and landscape team on 1300 MYFREO (1300 693 736).

Who do I speak to about sprinklers being left on?

If you notice sprinklers have been left on in any of the City's parks or reserves, contact our city works team on 1300 MYFREO (1300 693 736).

Sprinklers being excessively used on private properties should be reported to the Water Corporation's Waterwise Helpline on 13 10 39 or the Water Corporation website.

Vertical Tabs