Two-bin system

About the two-bin system

Households with a two-bin service have access to a dark green-lidded general waste bin and a yellow-lidded recycling bin. The green-lidded bin is for all household waste that cannot be recycled and smaller garden waste. The yellow-lidded bin is a co-mingled bin for all dry recyclable materials such as paper, cardboard, plastic, glass and aluminium.

The two-bin service includes:

  • A 240L yellow-lidded recycling bin, which is collected fortnightly.
  • A 240L dark green-lidded general waste bin, which is collected weekly.

Download the Fremantle waste calendar.

Which bin does it go in?

Any household waste that can't be recycled, can be disposed of in your dark green-lidded general waste bin:

  • All garden waste including grass clippings, twigs, sticks and prunings
  • Food scraps
  • Items contaminated with food e.g. paper towel, serviettes, tissues, paper plates, pizza boxes and fish and chip paper
  • Animal waste and kitty litter as well as pet hair and fur
  • Nappies and sanitary items
  • Band-aids
  • Take-away coffee cups
  • Soiled items
  • Shredded paper
  • Cotton wool and cotton wool buds
  • Clothing that cannot be sent to charity.

All items that go into the yellow-lidded recycling bin need to be clean, dry and empty:

  • Hard plastics with lids removed including cleaning product bottles, detergent bottles, punnets used to hold berries and tomatoes, bottles, trays, ice cream containers, plastic crockery, takeaway food containers, yoghurt containers and hard plastic packaging. Remember, if the plastic is scrunchable, it belongs in your general waste bin
  • Flattened cardboard including cereal boxes, packing boxes, egg cartons, clean pizza boxes, toilet paper rolls, long life tetra cartons
  • Paper (excluding shredded paper) such as magazines, newspaper, office paper, paper bags, envelopes (including those with windows), phone books, clean paper plates and wrapping paper
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Aluminium including baking trays, cake trays, cans and foil that is clean and scrunched into a ball
  • Metal including food cans, pet food cans and tins.

For a full guide on what items can be placed in the bins, visit the two bin A to Z guide.

Some items should not be placed into either of your bins and instead, can be dropped off at Fremantle Recycling Centre.

How do I order a new bin/replace a damaged bin?

Ordering new waste and/or recycling bin(s) for a new property:

Replace a damaged or lost bin:

What is FOGO?

FOGO stands for Food Organic Garden Organic and refers to the weekly collection of food scraps, as well as natural material from your garden which once collected, will be turned into compost.

Why am I not getting FOGO?

Not all properties are able to receive FOGO.

Because of issues with access and space the roll out will not include high-density areas like the city centre and some town houses, apartment complexes or commercial properties, although this will be subject to review over time.

The South Metropolitan Regional Council (SMRC) has also undertaken an extensive trial of the FOGO system in the City of Melville area. The results of this trial identified certain property types, including apartments and other multi-unit dwellings, experienced higher contamination rates.

Contamination rates are extremely important – if a bin is contaminated with material that does not belong in that bin, the contents will end up in landfill, which is something we want to avoid. Just one contaminated bin could compromise an entire truckload of FOGO waste.

Will my property receive the FOGO service in the future?

City of Fremantle is working closely with the SMRC to find out how we can introduce the three-bin FOGO system across all properties in the future.

Will my waste collection day change?

To make our waste collection more efficient, there will be some households with a change to their bin days.

Changes to bin collection days will take place in August and if your property is affected, you will receive a letter with information on your new collection day and when this will begin.

How can I do my bit at home?

Even if your household is not included on the FOGO system, you can still compost by purchasing a subsidised compost bin and worm farm from the City of Fremantle.

More information and contact

For more information or if you would like to register your interest for FOGO in the future and receive updates, please contact the City on 1300 MY FREO (1300 693 736) or email

Vertical Tabs