The City of Fremantle's international relations program, also known as Sister Cities, is a diverse program of exchanges and events with five sister cities and four friendship cities.
Its objectives are to promote:
- international friendship, peace and goodwill
- economic, cultural, educational, recreational and other beneficial exchanges
- interaction between Fremantle and its Sister Cities
- an awareness and appreciation of the traditions, customs and culture of Fremantle and its Sister Cities
- tourism in Fremantle
- student exchange programs to Sister Cities for students who reside or attend school within the municipality.
We currently have Sister City relationships with:
- Seberang Perai, Malaysia (since 1978)
- Yokosuka, Japan (since 1979)
- Capo d'Orlando, Italy (since 1983)
- Molfetta, Italy (since 1984)
- Funchal, Portugal (since 1996)
Exchanges with the above Sister Cities have included mayoral delegations, student and teacher exchange's, council officer exchanges and business and trade delegations.
Fremantle also has four friendship-city relationships. An alternative to the formal Sister City arrangement, friendship agreements share greetings and exchanges for a particular purpose and for a specified amount of time:
- Padang, Indonesia (since 1996)
- Surabaya, Indonesia (since 1996)
- Korčula, Croatia (since 1999)
- Lüshunkou, China (since 2011)
Hear from our 2016 exchange program students, Claire-Anne Ma and Drew Sandilands speak about their participation in the program between Fremantle and Yokosuka, Japan.
The excited year 10 John Curtin College of Arts students were selected through a school essay competition and will live with a family in Yokosuka for two weeks where they will be shown around and experience the culture.
They will then fly back with two Yokosuka students to show them the Fremantle. Yokosuka is one of our five Sister Cities:
Music in this video by Eric Taylor Music.
The City of Fremantle held a Sister Cities Forum on 18 February 2014 at the Fremantle Art Centre. The forum focused on developing ideas for future activities and programs. In 2015 the city hopes to develop the ideas that were gathered into a program of events involving all of our Sister Cities.
Throughout 2012 and 2013 the City unveiled a series of plaques at the sites of where an honorary tree was planted for our sister cities in 2011 and 2012.
Plaque unveiling ceremonies were held:
- 18 July 2012, Serabang Perai Sister Cities Day to commemorate their Municipal Council Day at SEW Park.
- 22 August 2012, Funchal Sister Cities Day to commemorate their City Status Day at Phillimore Gardens.
- 21 October 2012, Capo D'Orlando Sister Cities Day to commemorate their Saint Day at the Fremantle Italian Club.
- 8 February 2013, Molfetta Sister Cities Day commemorate their Saint Day at the Fremantle Italian Club.
The City encourages anyone of decent from our sister cities to attend these events and to email email@example.com for more information.