Two-bin system | City of Fremantle

Two-bin system


About the two-bin system

Households with a two-bin service includes:

  • A 240L yellow-lidded recycling bin, which is collected fortnightly.
  • A 240L dark green-lidded general waste bin, which is collected weekly.

Download the two bin waste calendar for information on how to use the two bins.

Which bin does it go in?

Recycling bin

All items that go into the yellow-lidded recycling bin need to be clean, dry and empty:

  • Hard plastics (with lids removed) including cleaning product bottles, detergent bottles, punnets from berries and tomatoes, bottles, trays, ice cream containers, plastic crockery, takeaway food containers, yoghurt containers and hard plastic packaging. Remember, if the plastic is scrunchable, it belongs in your general waste bin
  • Flattened cardboard including cereal boxes, packing boxes, egg cartons, clean pizza boxes, toilet paper rolls
  • Paper (excluding shredded paper) such as magazines, newspaper, office paper, paper bags, envelopes (including those with windows), phone books, clean paper plates and wrapping paper
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Aluminium including baking trays, cake trays, cans and foil that is clean and scrunched into a ball
  • Metal including food cans, pet food cans and tins.

Waste bin

Any household waste that can't be recycled, can be disposed of in your dark green-lidded general waste bin:

  • All garden waste including grass clippings, twigs, sticks and prunings
  • Food scraps
  • Items contaminated with food e.g. paper towel, serviettes, tissues, paper plates, pizza boxes and fish and chip paper
  • Animal waste and kitty litter, as well as pet hair and fur
  • Nappies and sanitary items
  • Band-aids
  • Take-away coffee cups
  • Soiled items
  • Shredded paper
  • Cotton wool and cotton wool buds
  • Clothing that cannot be sent to charity.

For a full guide on what items can be placed in the bins, visit the Recycle Right A-Z guide for the two bin system.

Some items should not be placed into either of your bins and instead, can be dropped off at Fremantle Recycling Centre.

How do I order a new bin/replace a damaged bin?

Ordering new waste and/or recycling bin(s) for a new property or replacing a damaged or lost bin can be arranged by completing our online form.

Multi unit developments (MUD) residents will need to complete a MUD application for waste and recycling bins instead.

What is FOGO?

FOGO stands for Food Organic Garden Organic and refers to the weekly collection of food scraps, as well as natural material from your garden which once collected, will be turned into compost.

Why am I not getting FOGO?

Not all properties are able to receive FOGO.

Because of issues with access and space the roll out will not include high-density areas like the city centre and some town houses, apartment complexes or commercial properties, although this will be subject to review over time.

The South Metropolitan Regional Council (SMRC) has also undertaken an extensive trial of the FOGO system in the City of Melville area. The results of this trial identified certain property types, including apartments and other multi-unit dwellings, experienced higher contamination rates.

Contamination rates are extremely important – if a bin is contaminated with material that does not belong in that bin, the contents will end up in landfill, which is something we want to avoid. Just one contaminated bin could compromise an entire truckload of FOGO waste.

Will my property receive the FOGO service in the future?

City of Fremantle is working closely with the SMRC to find out how we can introduce the three-bin FOGO system across all properties in the future.

Will my waste collection day change?

To make our waste collection more efficient, there will be some households with a change to their bin days.

Changes to bin collection days will take place in August and if your property is affected, you will receive a letter with information on your new collection day and when this will begin.

How can I do my bit at home?

Even if your household is not included on the FOGO system, you can still compost by purchasing a subsidised compost bin and worm farm from the City of Fremantle.

Translated Two Bin Flyer

ItalianFrenchSpanishPortugueseJapaneseChinese TraditionalChinese Simplified

Vertical Tabs