The City of Fremantle's international relations program, also known as Sister Cities, is a diverse program of exchanges and events with five sister cities and four friendship cities.
Its objectives are to promote:
- international friendship, peace and goodwill
- economic, cultural, educational, recreational and other beneficial exchanges
- interaction between Fremantle and its Sister Cities
- an awareness and appreciation of the traditions, customs and culture of Fremantle and its Sister Cities
- tourism in Fremantle
- student exchange programs to Sister Cities for students who reside or attend school within the municipality.
We currently have Sister City relationships with:
- Seberang Perai, Malaysia (since 1978)
- Yokosuka, Japan (since 1979)
- Capo d'Orlando, Italy (since 1983)
- Molfetta, Italy (since 1984)
- Funchal, Portugal (since 1996)
Exchanges with the above Sister Cities have included mayoral delegations, student and teacher exchange's, council officer exchanges and business and trade delegations.
Fremantle also has four friendship-city relationships. An alternative to the formal Sister City arrangement, friendship agreements share greetings and exchanges for a particular purpose and for a specified amount of time:
- Padang, Indonesia (since 1996)
- Surabaya, Indonesia (since 1996)
- Korčula, Croatia (since 1999)
- Lüshunkou, China (since 2011)
Sister Cities exchange program